- Provide relevant information to all communities in our country on heart disease and available treatments;
- Promote an effective recording of deaths in order to get an accurate account of the causes of death and the burden of disease;
- Lead a national discussion on solid organ donations to spread the message to potential donors, which currently is generally left to organisations like the Organ Donor Foundation;
- Initiate a Green Paper on an “opt out” organ donor policy, offering opportunities to sound out local attitudes towards what many other countries regard as a very positive experience, but which may not be appropriate in South Africa;
- Tap into private sector goodwill and resources to augment meagre public sector programmes, especially in respect of children with congenital heart conditions.
SA Government Must Take These Minimum Steps on Heart Transplantation